Student Medical Insurance for Canadian Students
studying abroad or outside province of residence
If you are a Canadian Student studying abroad (in the USA, Europe, UK, any other country) or Canadian Student studying in Canada but outside your principle province of residence, you should buy supplementary health insurance designed specifically for students.
Learn the Benefits of Canadian student health insurance (studying abroad or outside province of residence), check your Eligibility, compare plans from different insurance providers (Manulife, TuGo, Destination Travel Group, GMS), get your instant quote and buy insurance ONLINE.
Get Your Instant Quote
* Compare benefits: Manulife Financial vs. TuGo
Period of coverage cannot exceed 365
you need insurance for longer period of time, you can reapply for
the next period of coverage as long as you are eligible for this
Who can apply for Student medical insurance?
● You are a student enrolled in a school (recognized institution of learning) outside Canada (or outside province of residence); or
● You are an accompanying family member of the student studying outside of Canada (of province of residence); and
● You must be insured or eligible for benefits under the government health care plan of the province or territory in which you reside, for the entire trip duration.
You must be insured or eligible for benefits under the government health care plan of the province or territory in which you reside, for the entire period of coverage.
If your provincial health insurance plan terminates because of your long absence from your province of residence, you can consider Canadian Expatriate Hospital& Medical Insurance after the expiry date of your provincial plan.
Why you need Student hospital and medical insurance
When you study outside of Canada or your province of residence, your provincial health care plan offers limited coverage for emergency medical care. Student medical insurance provides many important medical benefits that your provincial health plan lacks.
Student medical (health) insurance provides up to $2,000,000 coverage and usually includes:
- Hospitalization and medical services (inpatient and outpatient) for injury, illness or psychiatric care,
- Diagnostic tests required by a physician,
- Use of licensed ambulance services,
- Medications prescribed by a physician,
- Accidental dental and dental emergency,
- Psychiatric/ psychological care,
- Annual medical examination and eye examination (if policy purchased for 12 months)
- Return you home if recommended by your attending physician, and more.
Pre-existing medical conditions are covered provided these conditions are stable within 90 days prior to the departure date.
Please refer to the policy wording for the details of coverage, for benefit limits, exclusions and limitations.
Insurance Providers and Insurance Plans Available
Get information, policy wording, rates and buy medical travel insurance for Canadian students studying abroad or outside their principle province of residence from the insurance providers below. Choose the plan which is right for you.
If you have questions or more information please call at 416-493-0101, 1-877-443-0101 or
Revised: December 22, 2018